The Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic Education employs many students in a variety of tasks, as outlined below. On occasion, OML also seeks to hire permanent staff; such openings are listed below as they occur.
- Must be a USM student with Federal Work Study funding.
- Postproduction of digital photographs of items in the collection using Adobe Photoshop:
- Filling in backgrounds of images from atlases and globes.
- Joining maps.
- With experience, the possibility of other digital projects may be available.
Because these projects are very detailed and exacting, students must be able to work at least 10 hours per week in the Digital Imaging lab, for at least two hours at a time.
Reference Room Staff
This position is for USM students with Federal Work Study funding. Reference Room staff attend the front desk when the reference room is open. Duties include check in of researchers and visitors, docent and monitor guests in the gallery, and assist patrons. Reference Room staff are required to be familiar with the information in the checklist and captions for each exhibition, and OML researcher procedures and policies. Depending on their skills and interests, Reference Room Staff will also have the opportunity to work on various projects, such as identifying and recording road maps, maps written in languages other than English, and various other incoming items. Other projects may include compiling lists of sources and/or items from within the OML collection, other institutions’ collections, etc., copy-editing, simple preservation work, metadata entry, and other projects, depending on the needs of the department.
- Must be a USM student with Federal Work Study funding
- Assist with Field Trips and Classroom Visits
- Prep for Educational Visits
- Create New Education Materials (Lesson Plans, Worksheets, Activities, etc.)
- Upload Digital Materials to Website
Because most field trips take place in the mornings, Education Assistants must be available between the hours of 10:00 and 12:00 for at least two of the following days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.